EMERGING GREEKS COMPETITION: 18 – by Vassilis Douvlis
Friday, April 1st, 5:30 p.m., Hall 1, international premiere, director present, Q & A after the screening
repetition: Saturday, April 2nd, 6 p.m., Hall 3, director present, Q & A after the screening
-> buy your ticket here!
In a working class neighbourhood of Athens during the economic crisis, the resurgence of fascism and the COVID-19 pandemic, a racist group of 18-year-old students persecutes immigrants, homosexuals, anyone who is just different. A classmate of theirs who does not hide his dislike for their actions quickly becomes their target.
– The Secret Coming of Summer (1991), 38’, fiction
– The Veteran (2000), 22’, fiction
– Jury Award of Merit, Palm Springs International Shortfest
– Award for Best Actor, Drama International Short Film Festival, 2000
– Quality Distinction of the Greek Ministry of Culture, 2000
– Participation in the International Film Festivals of Tampere, Munich
and Istanbul, in the Short Shorts Film Festival of Tokyo and in the Belo Horizonte
International Short Film Festival
– Screened in movie theatres in Greece, Germany, the USA and Japan
– The Homecoming (2007), 98’, fiction
– FIPRESCI Prize, Thessaloniki International Film Festival, Greek Section
– Participation in the following International Film Festivals: Karlovy Vary International Film Festival (Variety Critics’ Choice), Montreal World Film Festival, Chicago International Film Festival, Shanghai International Film Festival, Cairo International Film Festival, Mannheim-Heidelberg International Film Festival, Haifa International Film Festival, Film Fest Ghent, Cyprus Film Days International Festival, New York City Greek Film Festival, Kolkata International Film Festival, London Greek Film Festival, Tiburon International Film Festival, Montreal Greek Film Festival.
– Screened at the Austin Film Society, the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston and the Europa Europa Film Festival in Australia (Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane)
– Received positive reviews in film magazines, such as Variety, Positif etc. and purchased by several international television channels
– Affection to the People (2013), 91’, documentary
– Best Creative Documentary Award, London Greek Film Festival
– Participation in the official programme of the Thessaloniki Documentary Film Festival in 2014, the CineDoc Film Festival and the AegeanDocs International Documentary Film Festival